What is Google Local Guide Program?
Local Guides is a community of global explorers that write reviews, upload photos, answer queries, edit or add places and verify facts on Google Maps.
Since the launch of Google Local Guides in 2015, tens and millions of reviews have been submitted. Anyone can become a Local guide. There are currently over 150,000 guides active in 177 different countries.
Local guides can earn point by adding content to Google maps, and they can level up when they complete certain tasks or reach certain milestones. Local Guides has five levels: Level 1 (new), level 2 (intermediate), level 3 (advanced), and Level 4 (expert). The top ranking Local Guides may even be invited to apply to become Google Maps Insiders – an elite group of super users who receive early access to new products and features, and can provide direct feedback to the Maps Team.
What are you waiting? To become a Google Local Guide, you can start exploring today and writing reviews!
The Benefits of Working as a Local Guide
You can become a Local guide and share your favorite locations with the world. You can also help others discover new and exciting places. That’s not it! Being a Local Guide has many benefits, including:
- Access to exclusive events. From Google product launches to meet-ups between Local Guides, you will have access to events that are unique to your city.
- Be the first one to know. Be among the very first to learn about new Google features and products.
- Your voice is heard: Share your recommendations, photos and reviews with millions of people around the world using your Google Maps profile.
- Points and rewards. Earn points for contributing to Google Maps. Redeem them for rewards such as free coffee or vouchers for travel. You’ll get better rewards the more active you are.
How to sign up for the program
You need to take a few steps if you want to become a Google Local Guide. Sign up for a Google Account if you do not already have one. Sign in to your Google account on the Local Guides site. After you sign in, explore the website and get familiar with the program. Click on the “Contribute tab” when you are ready to begin contributing. You can add reviews, photos and other information regarding your local area.
Google Local Guide: Tasks and Assignements
You can also help others as a Google Local Guide by adding photos and reviews of businesses. You can add your own insights and tips about businesses and places in the area to make it even more useful for others.
Check out the list below if you are looking for something specific. Here are some ways to participate in the Local Guides Program:
Share photos of places and businesses in your area. Find out more about adding photos.
Write reviews. Give your recommendations for businesses and places near you. Be as specific as you can in your review. What did you enjoy or dislike about the place? Find out more about how to write reviews.
Answer questions. Help those who are searching for recommendations by answering questions they have about local businesses or places. Your profile name and picture will appear when you answer a query so that people can be sure it is from a reliable source. Find out more about answering questions.
How to be a local guide and succeed
Google’s Local Guide Program is a fantastic way to become more involved in your local community and share with others your knowledge about local businesses and attractions. Here are some tips that will help you be a successful Local Guide.
- Engage and be active – the more active you are, the more likely it is that you will be recognized by others as an important Local Guide. Add new information, such as photos and reviews, regularly to encourage people to return.
- Always try to be informative and helpful when writing reviews and adding photos. Give detailed information to other users. Avoid being biased or promotional in your writing.
- Be considerate and respectful – When you share your opinions about businesses or attractions, others may disagree. Be respectful and open-minded.
Follow these tips and you will be on your way to being a successful Local Guide.
Rewards for Local Guides
Google Local Guide offers rewards and recognition to those who make Google Maps more accurate and comprehensive. You can become a Local Guide and earn badges by sharing your local knowledge with Google Maps. You can unlock additional benefits and perks such as early access, invitations to events and discounts by Google partners.
Google Local Guide Alternatives
Local Guides offers many opportunities to participate. We encourage you to take advantage of all that the program can offer. Here are some alternatives to the Google Local Guide Program:
- Bing Places for Business is a program that helps businesses claim their listings on Bing and manage their information. It also tracks customer reviews.
- Yelp Elite Squad – This group of super users reviews local businesses on Yelp. They also share tips and photos, and participate in exclusive events.
- Foursquare City ambassadors: These brand representatives help spread the news about the wonderful things that are happening in their city. They attend local events, take photos and share them on social media.
- TripAdvisor local experts: This group offers insider information about the most popular tourist destinations in the world. Also, they write reviews for hotels, restaurants and attractions.
- Google Maps Contributors – Anyone can add facts to Google Maps about the places they live or visit. You can also include street view images, business listings and other information.
Google Local Guide Program allows you to become a recognized “go-to resource” for local information. This program is perfect for anyone who enjoys taking photos, exploring new places, or writing reviews of their favorite businesses. This program offers so many benefits and rewards to its members that it’s clear everyone who participates will reap the benefits. What are you waiting? Join us today to discover the world!